Ancient Indians highly revered neem oil as a powerful, all-natural plant for warding off pests. In fact, neem juice is the most powerful natural pesticide on the planet, holding over 50 natural insecticides. This extremely bitter tree leaf can be made in a spray form, or can be bought from a number of reputable companies.
How to prepare
For 1 liter of a 0.5 % dilution of neem plant spray you need:
5 ml neem oil
- 1-2 ml insecticidal soap or other detergent
- 1 liter warm water
Use warm water if possible. If making a large batch make a premix in a small amount of warm water, then add that into the big container.
- Mix the warm water with the soap first!
- Then slowly add the oil while stirring vigorously.
- Fill the mix into your sprayer.
- (Or fill the premix into your sprayer, which should already contain the rest of the water. Mix well.)
- Keep shaking or otherwise agitating the mix while spraying.
- Use the mixture within eight hours.
HOW TO USE
Spray the neem insecticide solution on all the leaves, especially the undersides where insects like to hide. If you have plenty drench the soil around the roots as well. It does not hurt, neem oil is actually good for your soil.
Neem plant spray as a preventative measure: Spray once a fortnight using a 0.5 % solution. This should prevent any insect problems in the first place.
Neem insect spray to fight an infestation: When spraying the first time throroughly drench al leaves and the soil around the plant. Then spray once a week until the problem disappears. If it rains you may need to respray sooner. If you are dealing with a less sensitive insect species you may need to increase the concentration of the neem spray. See how you
It controls aphids and mildew.
- Pure neem oil can kill soft-bodied insects and mites on contact, which is one reason why you want to spray it in the early morning or evening when the pollinators aren’t out as much, to avoid spraying them.
- neem oil repels insects and other animals directly when they encounter it on the leaves.
- Organic compounds in the oil spark an immune response to prevent fungal diseases such as mildew, black spot, rust, rot, scab, leaf spot and blights.